Attractions – Disney World, Universal Studios, Legoland and more
When most people think of Orlando they think of Disney World. However, the list of things to do and see while you are on vacation in Florida is almost endless. Therefore, no matter what your interest is, we are sure you will be able to enjoy it here in Florida! We have prepared this guide on some of the many things to do. Here are just some of the highlights Florida and the Orlando area have to offer. They are all located very close to our Bahama Bay Resort condo.
Disney World, comprising:
- Magic Kingdom – the Disney Castle is amazing! All the classic rides here
- Animal Kingdom – go early for the Safari tour
- Pandora – The World of Avatar, has recently opened at Animal Kingdom. The Flight of Passage ride is one of the best!
- Epcot – the updated Soarin‘ ride is great! The Frozen experience is very cool (pun intended). And everyone enjoys Test Track! The walk around the world showcase, taking in experiences from many countries is also excellent
- Hollywood Studios – watch out for the Star Wars Storm Troopers! And you have to ride The Tower of Terror!
- Toy Story Land opens in June 2018, including Slinky Dog Dash and other rides
- Downtown Disney has been renamed Disney Springs, and it’s got bigger!
- Shops, bars and restaurants, with an open-all-year Christmas store, and a great Lego store, amongst many others. Many visit for the nightlife scene.
- The “La Nouba” Cirque Du Soleil show closed at the end of 2017, but will be replaced by a Disney-themed show (link opens in new tab), also by Cirque Du Soleil. Those who visited La Nouba will remember it for years and years because it was such an amazing experience,so expect he new one to be equally breath-taking!
- Typhoon Lagoon water park – you can snorkel with sharks here!
- Blizzard Beach water park – the first time you see the ‘ski jump’ slide, your heart will skip a beat!
- and much more …
Universal Studios, comprising:
- Universal Studios theme park – what’s your favourite ride? Minions? Terminator? The Mummy? What about the new Fast And Furious – Supercharged ride, just opened?!
- Universal Studios Islands of Adventure – the Incredible Hulk ride, sensory overload! The new expansion is Skull Island: Reign of Kong
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Diagonal Alley, Hogsmeade – take the Hogwarts Express train ride between the parks, a fantastic experience! Make sure you ride the Dragon Challenge soon, as the rumors are that it is being replaced …
- Volcano Bay, Universal Studios new water park, features a 200 foot high volcano! (don’t worry, it’s not real!)
- Fun for all ages, with rides and shows, including a water skiing show, set in acres of grounds. Your kids can even go to Driving School.
- Designed for 2-12 year olds, our teenagers still have fun here. You don’t get the big thrill rides, but some are quite exciting.
- There are over 50 rides, in different themed areas.
- Set in about 150 acres, therefore there is a lot of ground to cover.
- There is also a water park, with a lazy river loaded with LEGO. You really can build things as you float around!
- Noticeably less busy than DisneyWorld or Universal, and an annual pass costs less than a day ticket to DisneyWorld.
- SeaWorld theme park
- Aquatica water park
- Discovery Cove, where you can swim with the dolphins
Other places to visit
The list of things to do and see in Orlando is also growing. New in 2015 are:
I-Drive 360 complex, comprising:
- The Orlando Eye is a 400-foot observation wheel at the new I-Drive 360 complex
- Madame Tussauds waxworks museum, full of representations of famous people and celebrities. It’s great for selfies!
- Sea Life aquarium
- Busch Gardens, an African themed park, with rides and safari adventures, is just an hour away to the West of Bahama Bay Resort and Spa, near Tampa.
- The Crayola Experience, a hands-on attraction for kids at Florida Mall
- Ripley’s Believe it or Not!
- Golf, many courses nearby
- Kennedy Space Centre, just over an hour away to the East of Bahama Bay Resort is well worth a visit. Everyone will be impressed with the sheer size and scale of the Saturn V rocket! It is an amazing, educational and inspiring day out. You might also see a launch if you time it right. There are usually at least 2 a month, sometimes more, eg January 2017 had 5 launches. You can also often meet an astronaut, with 2 astronauts per week hosting sessions.
- Medieval Times
- Arabian Nights
- Pirates Dinner Adventure
Construction started, but not expected to be complete until 2018 or 2019:
- Expansion at Disney World
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – a Star Wars themed-land covering 14 acres at Hollywood Studios
- Guardians of the Galaxy (link opens in new tab) ride at EPCOT, one of the world’s biggest, enclosed roller coaster!
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (link opens in new tab) ride at Hollywood Studios opens in 2019
- A Tron inspired ride, coming to Magic Kingdom, near Space Mountain
- A Ratatouille inspired ride, coming to France, at EPCOT’s World Showcase
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, coming to Hollywood Studios in early 2019
- The world’s tallest rollercoaster
- The Skyscraper, also coming to the new SkyPlex amusement park planned for International Drive, will be up to 600 foot tall when completed.
- Ferrari World
- A new theme park, based on the Ferrari brand, the 4th Ferrari park.
We regularly post updates on our Twitter feed on what’s happening around the theme parks. Follow us to find out more:
Book with us now